Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Almost a Year

I realize that my inactivity here has been great, but I'm back. Yes, it's been almost a year and a lot has happened. I know that I could have eliminated this blog and started fresh, but since we are still "Aces in KY", I felt it proper to continue here. Courtney and I have found our church home at Crossing Church here in Louisville. It is a Sojourn church plant with the SBC. We have found a place not only to connect to believers, but to be active in ministry and service as well. This happened just at the end of last summer, and it has been incredible to be active in a body of believers once again.

Last fall had it's share of ups and downs, but the year was capped with a great visit to Orlando to see family, and of course, Jacob's first birthday!!!

In January of this year I was able to go with a group to New Orleans to assist a church plant there with house-gutting, prayer-walking, Guitar Hero'ing (see photos) and the opening of their worship space. It was very eye-opening to see how much disrepair there still is in NO. Almost 2 years later and there are a lot of wards without power, and homes that have not been touched. I believe I will be going back this summer to continue work there.

Seminary education has come to a screeching halt as God has dealt with Courtney and I about our finances. We do not desire to be people who rely on credit, and therefore we are aggressively perusing freedom from our current debts. So this has meant a tightening of the belts and taking on extra work to create relief. Hasn't been an easy road, but the rewards will be worth the sacrifice. We are not trying to 'get rich quick' but rather our goal is to end the slavery to credit card companies. Pray for us in this. I hope to be eligible for scholarships to move forward in my degree program, but refuse to put my education on plastic.

That pretty much brings us up to the current state of affairs as the Aces continue to dwell in the Bluegrass State. Jacob is getting bigger and bigger each day. He says "Hi Dada" now, and actually likes to spend time with me! Courtney is doing part time work at the local YMCA, and Jacob get's to go there and spend time with other kids. The weather is finally warming up, which makes KY a lot easier to deal with. Continue to check back now that I am back in the game on this blog thing!

2 comments:

Fourdaughters said...

Wow, good to catch up Alex.

Lillian said...

Hey Hey Hey!!! It's been a while. I'll vouch for you on the weather part. We in Wyoming got a taste of spring these last two weeks...and the winter decided to come back with a vengence. I need your address, by the way.