Sunday, October 23, 2005

Project K5


Well, I was hesitant to post about this, but since I hinted about it in a past post, I suppose I will elaboate some. Project K5 is the recent old car project I have started, with a Blue 1973 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. This is a full-size pickup with a fully removable top, 350 V-8, All-Time 4 Wheel Drive, 6" suspension lift and 33" Super Swamper tires. It is what you could call a rednecks dream. It has some rust, and needs a little TLC, but overall the truck is worth the investment, in my opinion. It won't be a daily driver, but if it ever had to be, I would just need to prepare myself for 8mpg!

I have set myself a reasonable budget with some of the money I made selling my Honda motorcycle. After calculating everything the vehicle needs to be dependable on the road, or off the road, I have come up with the following mods.

- New rear springs and spring perches.
- Engine TLC (oil change, valve cover gaskets, new air filter, general clean up.
- Passenger floorpan, and general interior cleanup.
- Remote starter soleniod modification.
- Rear window handle.

It may need some other areas of attention along the way like brake lines, brake pads, differential fluid changes, and other maintenance stuff that has been neglected over the years. The truck runs pretty good, and it has been on the road recently to get a vehicle inspection (stupid kentucky laws) without a problem. Like I said, it seems to just have been neglected over the years, and taken off road a bit. The picture is the most recent I have, and isnt that good cause it was taken with my phone.

In other news, Courtney is doing just fine in the last few weeks of her pregnancy. We can't believe it has gone this fast. I am hoping to get most of the big work done to the Blazer in the next week or 2 before finals and the arrival of my son. Shouldnt be a problem since I can use the shop where I work to do whatever I need to, within the timeframe of a saturday. The weather here has taken a turn for the COLD!!! Tonight the low is 40. It didnt get any warmer than 52 today. Add rain to that mix and you have a recipe for COLD!!!! Enough said. Still miss everyone! Dont miss the threat of hurricanes though. My prayers are with you.

Alex

2 comments:

Matt said...

Remote starter solenoid modification? Is that what it sounds like? What does it do?

Fourdaughters said...

your not going redneck on us are you papi